The Gene White Lifetime Achievement Award Gala
The Gene White Lifetime Achievement Award for Child Nutrition was created in 2004 to honor individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the worldwide dream of ending childhood hunger. This prestigious award is given in the name of Gene White, who has dedicated her life to the nutrition and well-being of children. Over many decades, Gene has worked tirelessly in her efforts to improve the lives, health, and educational options of children in our country and around the world. Gene was the first to receive this award.
Each year, corporate executives, high level government officials, and non-profit leaders gather to honor the Gene White Lifetime Achievement Award recipient and to celebrate the achievements in the related realms of school meal programs, nutrition, and agriculture.
PAST DISTINGUISHED RECIPIENTS:
- 2016 Howard G. Buffett, Chairman and CEO, Howard G. Buffett Foundation
- 2015 Secretary Tom Vilsack, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- 2014 Dr. Rajiv Shah, Administrator, U.S. Agency for International Development
- 2013 Arlene Mitchell, Deputy Director for Access and Markets, Agricultural Development Program, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- 2012 Ambassador Tony P. Hall, Executive Director, Alliance to End Hunger
- 2011 Richard Lugar, Senator (R-IN)
- 2010 Dan Glickman, Former Secretary of the US Department of Agriculture and US Congressman
- 2009 Marshall L. Matz, Principal Attorney, Olsson Frank Weeda Terman Bode Matz P.C.
- 2008 Edward M. Cooney, Executive Director of the Congressional Hunger Center
- 2007 Catherine Bertini, Former Executive Director of the World Food Programme
- 2006 Dr. Josephine Martin, Past President of SNA and Executive Director of the NFSMI
- 2005 George S. McGovern, Senator (D-SD) and U.S. Ambassador to the UN Agencies on Food and Agriculture; Robert J. Dole, Senator (R-KS)
- 2004 Gene White, President, Global Child Nutrition Foundation